ORIGINAL ARTWORK CREATED BY OKLAHOMA ARTISTS

All Artwork Available for Purchase

Sunday, March 18, 2012

TYPE

"TYPE"
5" x 5" Mixed Media Drawing on Distressed, Dictionary Page

I have been having a ball drawing on the pages of old dictionaries.  I am a high school art teacher and I have a number of well-worn dictionaries in my classroom.  We have used them for all sorts of artwork through the years so many of them have ripped pages just begging to be (as they say these days) "repurposed."

One afternoon while my students were busy working on colored pencil exercises I decided to rip out a page, distress it a little with watercolors and inks and start a drawing.  I am now obsessed with these pieces.  I have completed quite a few so far and have shipped some to friends and patrons around the country.  My hope is to get enough inventory together to show at an upcoming art festival in our little, Oklahoma town.  I'm also going to investigate the cost of making some Giclee prints when I'm visiting OKC later this week.  Lemme know what you think, folks!

2 comments:

  1. I love it except I don't like the idea of ripping books. They are my lifes' blood. Maybe photocopying pages??

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Lady - I totally respect your reaction to ripping books. The only books I use are headed for the dumpster and already in disrepair. The dictionaries I use have been abused and tagged by students over the years. Our high school librarian rescues them and gives them to me to repurpose and recycle in art projects rather than throw them away.

    I am also a big fan of books and I agree that they are essential, valuable and meant to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete